About Redwing Racing
In 1937 the Bembridge Sailing Club in the Isle of Wight commissioned Charles Nicholson to design a new Redwing, and Camper & Nicholson Ltd to build them.
The principle dimensions were:
Length over all 27ft 11ins / 8.5m
Length on waterline 20ft 0ins / 6.1m
Breadth 5ft 6ins / 1.7m
Draft 3ft 3ins / 1.0m
Sail area 200 square feet / 18.58m2
The construction to be of the mahogany planking on elm timbers, decks to be of red pine and coamings to be of teak. The keel to be of lead and the rudder from elm. The first boats were delivered in 1938 and from then the boats were known as the Bembridge 1938 Redwings.
In 1988 the Bembridge class made the decision to adopt the new GRP version of the 1938 Redwing, and in 1989, 18 GRP boats were ordered and began sailing at Bembridge.
13 of the original wooden Redwings were sold to Poole in 1989. It was agreed that the Bembridge Redwings would keep the numbers 1 – 99, and Poole Redwings would adopt the numbers 101 -199.
From 1999 to 2005 the Poole Redwings were sailed for corporate hospitality events and charity racing.
From 2006 until today, the Poole Redwings have been privately owned and are raced as a fleet in Poole Harbour. The racing is competitive, friendly and exciting. They are raced from Lake Yard in Hamworthy twice a week, Poole Harbour Regattas, and annually at Cowes Week against the Bembridge Fleet every August.
If you are interested in crewing or owning a Redwing – please contact Robin Culpan: